Wednesday, August 25, 2010

4.4. Effecting Biblical Change- Approach to Problems

4.4. Effecting Biblical Change- Approach to Problems

Feelings

( Matt. 12:33-37 ) We are the sum of what we encountered in life and our reactions to
these events. Being conditioned by life's experiences, we are prone to react to life
impulsively and instinctively rather than to respond on the basis of considered judgment. Man's words and manner of speech reveal his inner life, his focus, and who and what determines his peace and joy ( 1 John 2:3-6 ; Matt. 5:44 ; Gal. 5:19-21 ; Col. 3:5-9).

"Separated from God, fallen man became a flesh person, living from the created flesh as the source and center of life. In the realm of creature flesh, man searched for the meaning of life within his brains, intellects, memories, emotions, feelings and passions, which all exists in the organs of his body." He looked to himself for the means to survive which became the meaning and purpose of his life - self-interest, self-protection, self defensiveness: traits that characterizes fallen man.

Man thus becomes vulnerable to what others have done or failed to do to make him
secure - it is the fault of others. This state of apprehension opens the door to self-pity,fear, worry, anger, bitterness, jealousy, despair, depression and the like... All these reactions are 'feelings', and 'feelings' are fertile areas in which Satan operates and upon which he feeds ( Gen. 4:7 ).

Doing

( John 14:21 ; James 1:22-25 ) Residuals of the fallen life exist in our members: the
self-defensive, self-interest, self-protective life mechanisms. We are responsible to deal with these areas in which feelings initiate reactions rather than being prompted by the word of God. Regardless of feelings, we are to do what God's word says to do: practicing loving our enemies, being kind to those who hate you, blessing those who curse you, and praying for those who insult you. By God's grace, you will eventually change maliciousness and retaliation to compassion and benevolence. Anything done without faith, without reference to God's word is sin ( James 4:17 ; Eph. 4:29 ; Rom. 2:6-9 ; John 3:21 ; 1 John 2:3-6 ; Prov. 1:22-31 ; Rom. 8:13 ; Luke 6:27-31 ).

Root

( 2 Cor. 5:17 ) Our responses or reactions to life reflect our true roots: the source of our being. The essence or substance of a man are his thoughts, his speech and his actions. Here we can identify the sin patterns and strongholds developed over the years that characterize the lifestyle and personality of the individual. Be aware of the 'body'. It is not an entity unto itself, but the body is God's vehicle to establish His Kingdom on earth. Accordingly, through our body, our thoughts, our speech, our actions are to reflect the taproot- the character of Christ Himself.
Category of root problems are many: hypocrisy, manipulation, lying, cheating, stealing, boasting, blame shifting, self-centeredness, self-protection, self-interest, anger, impatience, self-pity, lust, immorality, greed, malice, deceit, and the like - a life characterized by self being on the throne of life.

• Key: We establish godly roots by changing 'I' to 'We', you in union with
Christ. This begins with the new birth, followed by daily renewal of the
mind as we begin to confront life on the basis of God's word ( 2 Cor.
10:3-5 ; Gal. 5:22-23 ; 2 Pet. 1:3-8 ; Eph. 4:22-24 ; Col. 3:10 ).

Approach to Solutions

Perspective
( Isa. 55:8-9 ; Prov. 14:12 ) We are to look at life from God's perspective, His view,not from our way, experiences, ideas, opinions, what others say, the world's philosophy or its psychology. The basic problem and the supreme challenge you will face in making Christ-honoring changes is dying to self. The biblical perspective concerning 'self' is exactly opposite to what the wisdom of this world proclaims ( Luke 9:23-24 ). Accordingly, to live biblically is to respond to life's challenges in a manner that pleases and honors God - no longer pleasing and gratifying self ( 1 Cor. 3:19-20 ; 1 John 2:15-17 ; 1 Cor. 2:12-13 ; 1 John 2:20,27 ).

Hope

( Heb. 6:18-20 ) Hope is an anchor of the soul because it affects our mind and
emotions. Christ within me, the Anointed One, breaks the yoke of life's pressures on me. My job is to develop this inner image of Christ within me, that in Him, I am more than a conqueror, never under but always over circumstances, no matter what I face in life. To really believe this in the inner core of my being that all God's promises are mine depends upon my living in and by the living word of God ( John 16:33 ; James 1:2-4 ).

( Ezek. 36:26-27 ) God gave me a heart of flesh, put His Spirit within me. He gives me power to carry out His commands.

( 1 Cor. 2:12-13 ) Being a child of God, I receive revelation knowledge by the word of God in and through my human spirit.

( Rom. 8:28-29 ) No matter what happens to me in life when I call upon God He will
intervene in my life. He will reach into my experiences, redeem my past, and cause
things to work out for my benefit.

( 1 Cor. 10:13 ) God is the One who is faithful. As I put my faith in Him, He will bring me out successfully.

( Heb. 4:15-16 ; Heb. 7:25 ) All I have to do is ask boldly, and God's Grace is available to me. The blood of Jesus Christ intercedes always, washing and cleansing from all sense of guilt and shame whether real or imaginary.

( Rom. 6:3-6 ) My old human nature and all my past has been buried with Christ when I
was baptized into His death. At the burial I was also raised with Him into the newness of life, freed from the power of sin, and free now to do acts of righteousness.

Change

( Gen. 4:7 ; Eph. 5:14-16 ) We must choose to change. We cannot take living for
granted, being careless or casual about our thinking, speaking and acting. God put us on this earth to actively replace evil with righteousness.

( Matt. 7:1-5 ; 1 Cor. 11:28-31 ) Critical that I judge myself daily, that I am walking in the Spirit, responding to life God's way. Then I will be in the position to help restore others.

( Rom. 12:1-2 ) My total being belongs to the Lord for His use. This requires a total
overhaul of my person, separating myself from my past, the world's system and
influences in order to be conformed to the ways of the Lord.

( Eph. 4:25-32 ; Col. 3:5-17 ; Rom. 12:9-21 ; 1 Pet. 2 ; 1 Pet. 3 ) Listed in these
references are the basic put-offs and put-ons to guide and lead one to live a biblical lifestyle.

( Rom. 8:29 ; 1 John 3:8 ) Examine self daily to see if I am living by God's standards for that day, being a blessing and destroying the works of the devil

( Ps. 1:1 ; John 15:5 ) The enemy never stops working which compels us to be
completely dependent upon the Lord 24 hours a day. We are to be always conscious of
His Presence - to be actively involved in the pursuit of establishing His righteousness in all of life's endeavors.

No comments:

Post a Comment